Introducing the Team:
Students in the Junior School are supported by a team of Student Managers and Educational Support staff that can be contacted any time.
Sally-Anne Sherman Sherman
Student are exposed to a wide range of different subjects in the Junior School so that they can start questioning and thinking about their future pathways within Fountain Gate secondary and beyond.
We believe school should be an inclusive environment that is safe for all students and staff to achieve their best. This is supported with the Victorian Curriculum and Respectful Relationships program. Students have access to a range of supports to help them achieve their best while at school and in the community. Students have access to Sub school Mangers to help with academic and social issues at school and extensive wellbeing team and educational support staff to build relationships so they have a strong connectedness to school and peers.
Student’s success is celebrated with awards ceremonies, student of the month and attendance awards. In class teachers recognise student’s hard work with golden tickets and merit certificates. We believe it is important to recognise students for outstanding work, effort and demonstrating positive school values as it increases student confidence, learning outcomes and connectedness to school.
Academic Intervention Program:
At the end of term 1,2&3 the junior sub school looks at all the students learning habits achievements and students who are below the school’s expectations of academic achievement or effort may be put on our Academic Support List which will support them setting goals, staying up-to-date with work, getting organised and to take ownership of their studies.
To help in this process, it is suggested parents log on to Compass and look at your students learning habits report and have conversations with your student about the goals that they have set at Conference Day.
If you have any difficulty in logging on to Compass or have forgotten your password, please contact the College.
Camps are a great learning experience for students; they develop team building and leadership skills. Students develop growth in confidence and are able to overcome limitations they face and these skills can be transferred to everyday practice at school.
Year 7 Camp – Phillip Island Adventure Resort Camp
Year 8 Camp – Rubicon Educational Outdoor Camp
Fountain Gate Secondary College believes that improving student accountability for attendance, and rate of attendance, is absolutely essential in preparing students for further education, future pathways and employment.
The rationale of the Attendance Policy is to:
- ensure all children of compulsory school age are enrolled in a registered school and attend school every day the school is open for instruction.
- ensure students, staff and parents have a shared understanding of the importance of attending school.
- explain to school staff and parents the key practices and procedures Fountain Gate Secondary College has in place to:
- support, monitor and maintain student attendance.
- record, monitor and follow up student absences.
Fountain Gate Secondary College believes the aim and purpose behind the Junior & Middle School Attendance Policy is to:
- Prepare students for the 90% attendance rate in VCE.
- Prepare students for employment where punctuality and attendance is essential.
- Improve accountability for students to ensure any missed work is completed.
- Assist teachers in the assessment and reporting process.
- Ensure parents/guardians understand and are informed of frequent absences.
All students in the Junior and Middle School are to attend at least 90% of full days, ‘School Approved’ each Semester.
An approved DEPARTMENT absence in Years 7 to 10 can be:
- Camp, excursion or school activity
- Student Free Day – School choice
An approved SCHOOL absence in Years 7 to 10 can be:
- Medical – Medical Certificate or Statutory Declaration required
- Dental appointment – Certificate of attendance required
- Religious/Cultural observances
- Extended Family Holidays - school must be notified two weeks in advance so work can be arranged for absent student